Current:Home > FinanceBoard approves Arkansas site for planned 3,000-inmate prison despite objections -Visionary Wealth Guides
Board approves Arkansas site for planned 3,000-inmate prison despite objections
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 15:44:18
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — The Arkansas Board of Corrections on Friday approved an 815-acre site for a planned prison to hold 3,000 inmates, despite objections from residents and local officials that they were blindsided by the state’s purchase of the land.
The board voted to accept the land that the state had purchased for nearly $3 million to build a prison that Republican Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders and corrections officials say is needed to ease a backlog of state inmates in county jails.
Officials have not said how much the prison will cost or given a timeline for its construction. Sanders, a Republican, called for 3,000 new prison beds and lawmakers set aside $330 million for that last year. An additional $75 million that was originally intended for the expansion of a prison unit is also available for the project.
“This vote today, it starts a lot of studies and a lot of thought processes,” Chairman Benny Magness said during the meeting, which was held via Zoom with nearly 300 people. “There’s probably a slim possibility, but it’s a possibility, that this site won’t work. But we’re at the point where we need to accept the site where we can move on and check some of that information.”
The state last week announced it had purchased the land in Charleston, located about 106 miles (170 kilometers) northwest of Little Rock. The purchase prompted complaints from residents and officials from the area who said they did not know about the decision until the day it was announced or shortly before.
“A formal public hearing should have been held before the state committed millions of dollars to a project in Franklin County,” Rosemary Underwood, a resident of the area, said at a packed town hall held on Thursday night.
Former Corrections Secretary Joe Profiri, a senior adviser to Sanders, said at Thursday’s town hall that the property had been optioned for 90 days before the state closed on the purchase.
Sanders on Friday thanked the board for approving the prison site, saying she was committed to work with the community throughout the construction process.
“We kicked this can down the road for far too long - it’s time to make the first investment in our prison system in two decades and finally address our failed system of catch-and-early-release of violent offenders,” Sanders said in a statement.
One member of the board, Lee Watson, abstained from voting on the measure and said he believed there needed to be more public discussion about the purchase and the site.
“Given the magnitude of the decision that we have at hand, I don’t feel like I’ve had sufficient time to make a decision,” Watson said.
veryGood! (51352)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- A parent's guide to 'Smile 2': Is the R-rated movie suitable for tweens, teens?
- Rep. Rashida Tlaib accuses Kroger of using facial recognition for future surge pricing
- Horoscopes Today, October 17, 2024
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Prosecutors say father of Georgia shooting suspect knew son was obsessed with school shooters
- Woman dies 2 days after co-worker shot her at Santa Monica College, police say
- Paulson Adebo injury update: Saints CB breaks femur during 'Thursday Night Football' game
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- His country trained him to fight. Then he turned against it. More like him are doing the same
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- TikTok let through disinformation in political ads despite its own ban, Global Witness finds
- 6-year-old boy accidentally shoots younger brother, killing him; great-grandfather charged
- Cleveland Guardians look cooked in ALCS. Can they fight back vs. Yankees?
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- 3 workers remain hospitalized after collapse of closed bridge in rural Mississippi killed co-workers
- Megan Marshack, aide to Nelson Rockefeller who was with him at his death in 1979, dies at 70
- Republicans appeal a Georgia judge’s ruling that invalidates seven election rules
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
DeSantis approves changes to election procedures for hurricane affected counties
Wanda and Jamal, joined by mistaken Thanksgiving text, share her cancer battle
Canceling your subscription is about to get a lot easier thanks to this new rule
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
These Sweet Sabrina Carpenter and Barry Keoghan Pics Will Have You Begging Please Please Please for More
Parkland shooting judge criticizes shooter’s attorneys during talk to law students
Alabama to execute man for killing 5 in what he says was a meth-fueled rampage